Our Story (2023)
Its Always Been about Passion
The foundation for Flavours of Life was conceived over a long weekend of defining passions:
- justice, respect, dignity, fairness
- valuing diversity, equality adventure, travel, cultural differences, traditions
- exotic sights, sounds, smells
- family, community, sustainable environment
Then, Flavours of Life was born in 2004 with the purchase of a tent and a pocket of $500 to sell fair trade crafts at local markets, fairs, and festivals.
In 2005, we moved into our first storefront at 189 Bank Street, New London. Encouraged by our community’s response to fair trade and support for our shop, we soon re-located to a much larger premises - our current location at 86 Bank Street.
While we continue to participate in markets, fairs, and festivals, Flavours of Life has also visits community organizations, schools, and fair trade parties. In recent years, we have further expanded our reach to embrace online shopping.
Our mission here at Flavours of Life is multi-faceted. With our humble little fair trade shop, we aim to accomplish the following:
- Develop a sustainable business following Fair Trade principles, and to promote Trade Justice.
- Implement the principles of fairness, respect, and openness in our dealings with producers, suppliers and customers, and to share these business values with others through the federation and cooperation.
- Inform, educate and enlighten others on the principles of Fair Trade and Trade Justice.
- Promote an awareness of history and an appreciation for the culture of others through the provision of arts, crafts, food, and music.
- Develop and encourage the concept of community and become involved in activities beneficial to our local social environment.
- Embrace all aspects of social responsibility to the best of our ability.
- Influence others to be good citizens and guardians of Planet Earth.